Tuesday, August 25, 2009 | By: Anonymous

Change of Plans

Happy birthday, Nana! But, unfortunately, we will not be going to to NJ this weekend. Aaron will be having his third surgery this Friday, and it's to repair his hernia on the left and explore his hernia/hydrocele on the right. Here are the facts:

-Although it's progressively been getting bigger, they usually don't treat hydroceles until about 9 months of age since it can go away on its own.

-The hernia on the left is reducible and large, so the chances of it getting strangled and leading to an medical emergency are slim. But, we'd have to watch it very carefully and know when it progressed so we could rush him to the hospital for immediate surgery.

The options:

-Treat the hernia on the left now and wait 3 more months to see if the hydrocele went away. If not, perform another surgery on the right side

-Wait 3 months to treat both so only one surgery is needed

-Treat both, repairing the hernia on the left and exploring the right, meaning if there is also a hernia there it will be repaired, if not, they will just reduce some of the hydrocele

Needless to say, we opted to treat both now. Like I mentioned, the hydrocele on the right has only been getting bigger, so if there is also a hernia there it is not very reducible. And, Aaron's been having some trouble going to the bathroom and straining really hard to pass stool through the hernia and out, which makes everything even worse and backs up his system. So, not only does he scream in pain but he also spits up any food he takes because there's no room for it. Our decision was an easy one to make. The doctor only does surgeries on Mondays and Fridays and said she'd get us in as soon as possible. By the time we had lunch in the cafeteria and got to the car, I had a voicemail from the hospital telling us that they have an opening on Friday. Friday? Yes, THIS Friday!

This will be Aaron's third surgery, and it hasn't gotten any easier to sign that consent. They will try a spinal for anesthesia but incase that doesn't work and he needs to have general anesthesia, he may have to spend the night, which of course made me break down and cry. Since he came home I havnen't given one thought to him ever having to stay in a hospital again, even if it is for one night. But, whatever needs to happen will happen and I'm ok with that.

Before we went to our appointments today, Aaron had a photo-op with his cousin Micah. Micah was born on July 3rd, only 4 days after Aaron's due date. Aaron is about 7lbs and Micah close to 12lbs!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.