Aaron broke the 1500 gram mark last Saturday (05/23). That was such a nice number to see. Our next big magic number is 1800 grams, which will put Aaron at the 4 lb mark. I almost can't believe he is that close to 4 lbs! At that point we can try to start bottle feeding, since he will be big enough to have more calories to burn.
Aaron had another eye exam on Tueday (05/26). Still at Zone 2, Stage 0, but now they've added "Anterior" after the zone, which means the blood vessels are forming more into his eyes...yay! That night, Aaron's weight registered at 1310 grams (2lb 14.1oz)...over a 200 gram loss over a few days. After 2 hours of prayer and crying, the doctor called back and said they re-weighed him on another scale and he was actually 1550g (3lb 6.56oz). There was something wrong with the other scale! Oh, the games Aaron plays with us...
The past 24 hours have been real busy for Aaron. Early this morning, just past midnight, Aaron reached 24ml/3hrs of breastmilk, which is a full feed for his weight. So the IV for his fluids finally came out! He has been tolerating all of his feeds which were increasing by 1ml/3rhs each shift. He is one hungry little boy! It as so nice to see him with one less thing poking into him! At around 1pm today, he was switched from BiPap back to nasal cannula. Last time they did that he had a lot of episodes since they went from a 25 breaths/min rate on the BiPap to zero breath rate. This time, they weaned him down first and so far he has been having good blood gases and no episodes! Aaron also had a visit from his great-aunt who came all the way from Texas to see him. She had a good time rubbing his back. Aaron even cried a little bit for her so she could hear his voice. Aunt Kathy also brought up some pictures that Rickey and Matthew (Aaron's cousins once removed) drew for him. We can't wait to put them up in his nursery for him!
Tonight when Aaron was weighed he was 1420g (3lb 1.98oz). Of course I asked if he was weighed in the isolette or an outside scale. The nurse said the isolette and the weight was similar to last night (which was 1450g, also using the isolette, even though the previous night's doctor said not to use it anymore). Anyway, I pretty much demanded they use the outside scale next time he wakes up for his feeding/diaper change at midnight. Good thing I did because munchkin actually weighs 1620g (3lb 9oz)! What a difference! Yay for getting pudgy!! :)
Tomorrow is going to be another long day. Clayton will be driving a 26-foot Ryder truck and I will be driving my Armada, both filled to the brim with my parents furniture/boxes, from NJ to Vermont (and that's not even all of their stuff...I will have to make another trip up at some point during the week with the rest)! We will be seeing Aaron early in the morning and heading out so we can miss most of the traffic. Unfortunately, we will be spending the night there and won't see him again until Saturday. But, he has been doing soo well that, although it breaks my heart that I won't see him for 24 hours, I am not worried about him at all. I know he is in good hands!
Although this picture was taken over a few days ago (05/19), I just want to share it tonight. It's a bit fuzzy but it is of Aaron's great-grandfather visiting him for the first time. It was a really sweet moment, even though Pop was very nervous about being so close to Aaron. :)


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.